Thursday, August 30, 2018

Filling in the wee hours of the morning.

          I, am , by nature, an early morning person. With a recurrence rate around 95%, I am almost invariably up and out of bed by 8:30. And this presents me with a few issues:

1. My pathological need to do something, especially in the morning. I can probably blame my dad for that annoying habit. I spent my high school summers down in Utah working with my dad on a little business call 'Outlaw Bar-B-Q'(Still in operation, with staffing changes). While not the clearest memories, certainly the most frequent was the morning routine, which started at 4:00, and proceeded through the same steps: Wake up Call, Coffee, Cigarette, Chit Chat, Jacket, Truck(it is only hot in Utah when the sun is visible. Bring a coat.)  In all the summers I spent with him, he only ever broke that rhythm once, so he could get up at 6. So lazy. I know. And it seems like that's where my internal clock got stuck, accompanied by an intense desire to do something useful. And at my present state* there isn't a lot of things to be done aside from job hunt and do laundry.

2. I am a Millenial**, but the majority of my contemporaries have a sleep schedule for non work days that has them up by the ungainly hour of 11 AM, so most people I know are either working, asleep, or dead.


So How do I fill these morning hours?

With literally anything I can:

Today's unneeded project:


Background:

I bought a table yesterday. My friend Julie helped me pick it up and assemble it. It looks like Stained Oak or some other very nice wood.

This morning, as soon as I got up,
I removed the table top by unscrewing all 4 mounting bolts,
Tightened the screws mounting the top section to the trunk of the table leg, re mounted the table top,
flipped the entire table over, re tightened the mounting point between the feet and the trunk, then righted the table. Why?

The table was a little wobbly.

This is primary insight into how I work as a person. I tried to fix a completely inconsequential problem with an insane amount of work because I was bored. It's also the reason I made this blog post. Which took 40 minutes to write.

I haven't even made coffee yet.


Editors Notes:

*Unemployed
** Read: Douche
*** This isn't a footnote from anything specific up there, but Will texted me at 9:30 and asked me to edit this before he posted it. I'm not on your schedule, dude, let me sleep. 
****I pulled this garbage heap down to half its original size, mostly because Will felt compelled to detail what he plans to do with the table after: sanding, staining, drying, refinishing, blah, blah, blah. Go to be a carpenter, you tool, and let the rest of us be.     

No comments:

Post a Comment